Thursday, May 25, 2006

Akeelah and the Bee

So I was watching Akeelah and the Bee last weekend, and I was thinking about how hot the movie was. First of all, there is only one other movie I know of where a smart young black person is central to the plot (the other is finding forrester). However, I would love to be proven wrong about this.

The movie is powerful for a number of reasons, and almost singlehandedly made me re-envision the way I had thought about the concept of potential. Its a feel good movie, and I damn sure needed to feel good when I saw it. Thanks akeelah.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Intellectivist said...

Did you get a chance to read Bomani Jones' article on the movie on ESPN? He gave it a great review, and actually made me want to see it (I haven't as of yet). But it seems that a lot of people like it. Here's the article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/060504

9:56 AM  
Blogger The Generalist said...

I read the Jones article after you sent it, and I found it to be a fairly accurate description. I would rent Spellbound on dvd first. Its a better movie, but Akeelah is definitely more inspirational...

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think B Jones needs to get over himself a tad and focus more on Keke or the misnomer of "acting white" which make his article far more palpable than his one-sided testimonial. Sorry Bomani, this is not the time for an autobio...
As far as the movie is concerned, I love it!though blindly as I haven't quite seen it yet. I've been to the movies just once this year.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think B Jones needs to get over himself a tad and focus more on Keke or the misnomer of "acting white" which make his article far more palpable than his one-sided testimonial. Sorry Bomani, this is not the time for an autobio...
As far as the movie is concerned, I love it!though blindly as I haven't quite seen it yet. I've been to the movies just once this year.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wondering... how are you defining a "smart black character"?

2:20 AM  
Blogger The Generalist said...

i guess commonly accepted western norms of intelligence...

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter