Saturday, September 02, 2006

True Love

At dinner recently my boss and I got to talking about our mutual love of all things sports-related (except soccer). We concur that the start of football season is cause for celebration and that there may be nothing more exciting than March Madness. We also agree that something about NBA ball is just a little less than satisfying. When baseball comes up, she says, and I am quoting... "Wouldn't it be the greatest thing ever for the White Sox not to make the playoffs?" That was followed by something about her love of Dusty Baker (whom I don't dislike) and the Cubs (whom I root for when they don't suck).

Between the look on my face and the sound of me choking on the air I was breathing, conversation at the table came to a screeching halt. I reminded her, since she had obviously forgotten, that she lives and works on the South Side. She either didn't hear me or didn't care. As a Political Scientist, she seems blissfully ignorant of the politics of baseball in the City of Chicago. Ever hopefull that the Sox will pull out the Wild Card, I told homegirl on the other side of me that when they did, I was gonna leave a copy of the sports page outside my boss's office. My boss looked at me (smile-free) and informed me that I'd be out of a job.

Hmmmmmmm... Ego or Employment. That is the question. See you in the Playoffs.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol nice

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True love is when you hold her hand when she ain't even there and stare death in the face and say I'm not letting go

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter