Friday, July 20, 2007

Is it me?

As a life-long lover of dogs, I hate to think of anyone abusing them for sport. Ergo I'm no fan of dog-fighting. However... the logic of the ever more popular dog-fighting = end of NFL career argument is completely escaping me. Of course, I see how going to federal prison could negatively affect a person's quarterback rating. I even see how having your QB indicted on federal charges is a bad look for an organization. But that's business.

What I don't see is how animal cruelty is cause for a national public outcry. Now it could just be me, and the fact that I get 75% of my news from ESPN. Maybe in the non-sports world of news, no one cares all that much (although this video from the floor of the U.S. Senate suggests otherwise. I wonder if he ever got that worked up about human rights violations), but in the sports world, kats are going crazy. And the altogether foolish part of it is that very few people seem to care that what Vick (allegedly) did was against federal law. We only seem to care that it was mean to dogs. One sports newscaster even remarked that he couldn't imagine young kids wanting to wear Vick's jersey anymore after finding out how he treats little puppies. Word??? Again, I love dogs. I just don't see how a person's lack of love for dogs should be related to their place on a football team.

There's also the possibility that, as a country, we have some kinda crazy soft spot for doggies. I could see that being the case. Still, I can think of a lot of f*cked up things we do to animals. (Ever seen where your meat comes from?) And no one is trying to send the Tyson chicken man to prison. So... I guess the moral of the story is... If you have to be an animal, be a dog.

1 Comments:

Blogger Puff said...

Nope... it's not just me. At the very least, it's me and The Nation.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter