Thursday, March 30, 2006

... Of All Time

I think I'm gettin the hang of the contributor thing. Here's my latest contribution. Off the top of my head, I was asked to list my top 10 emcees. I won't tell you what I said then, but after a few days' thought, and a little revision (just a little), here's where it stands. My Top Ten in no particular order.

  • Rakim, whose albums I can still play straight through (shout out Eric B.)
  • Biggie, who told great stories, even when they were about crack and killin kats.
  • Nas, who tells very good stories.
  • Busta Rhymes, just because E.L.E. is forever ingrained as one of my "happy albums." (One person knows what I'm talking about.)
  • Lauryn Hill, who I'd put in my top ten list of musicians in general.
  • BlackThought, whose flow I'm inexplicably in awe of.
  • Common, because his flows and albums (at least before BE) are 95% pure Soul.
  • Dead Prez, as a duo because I don't know which flows are whose. And because Let's Get Free is uniquely sick in my listening experience.
  • Mos Def, who, in addition to 2 rap classics, put out one of my favorite soul albums off all time, regardless of how many people are (intentionally) sleeping on it.
  • Jay-Z. For better or worse, that kat makes my head bob.
Yes, I realize there's no Pac. Maybe because that kat recorded so much, there's just too much of his stuff that I don't care to listen to. He should've gone Mos Def's route, and he'd have made the list. Aristocrates knows what I'm talking about.

Last thing: Let's say instead of emcees, it was a list of my top ten lyricists of any genre. I can't give you the whole ten, but I can tell you that Adam Duritz (Counting Crows), Damien Rice, and Alanis Morissette would be on it. Absolutely.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my dog (AJ) 85 pounds and 2 years ago => (your pic)

No Talib? It's all good. I feel you on the Alanis though. I almost thought I saw Sade on your list, maybe because I put her on everyone's list I read.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we're speaking lyricists DEFINITELY Alanis and Damien Rice. Damn I LOVE "O." However, do not sleep on Cee-Lo. "One for the Road" stands out in my mind as metaphorical perfection, but that cat is dictionally gifted overall.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah also meant to agree with you on the Dead Prez tip for emcees....one of the few CD's I listened to in a minute that inspire reflection

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter