Thursday, April 27, 2006

52 Books, Week 12: Assata

“your asking me about freedom? I’ll be honest with you. I know a whole more about what freedom isn’t, than about what it is. Because, I’ve never been free. I can only share my vision with you of the future; about what freedom is. The way I see it, freedom is the right to grow…. The right to blossom. Freedom is the right to be yourself” Assata Shakur

For a while I was thinking about getting away from reviews, but they keep calling me back (they callin’ me). Especially Assata Shakur. I read this one a couple of weeks ago, and I should have jotted all my thoughts down immediately, because I feel like I’m not even going to come close to doing this book justice. Assata’s reflection on her life, is probably the most honest biography I’ve ever read. (in the spirit of full disclosure, I can’t say that I’ve read more than 3 or 4). Describing her struggles in Amerika, she interweaves her drama with the crooked copz and the sham trial(s) she participates (although I use the term loosely) in, with her tough upbringing in urban america. My friend and I were amazed at how resourceful this young lady was (I mean she got pregnant in jail for pete’s sake). She doesn’t sugarcoat her experiences dealing with the cops, nor over-romanticize her association with the Black Panthers. The result is a gritty story, ultimately about freedom and the contradiction of the America Dream.

Presciently, she captures the angst of a generation of folks who were faced with few choices. The narrative, although graphic in its abuse, is told in a free-flowing style; and although you would love to know more about her dramatic escape (...”and how she broke out of prison I could never explain, even to this day, they try to get to her, but she’s free with political asylum in cuba”); you’ll have to take what you can get. For me, it was more than enough….

By the way, ask about my boy Lupe…. I feel like if I could rap (and communicate well) he's what I would sound like...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter