Monday, April 17, 2006

PPR / 24

I had my PPR (performance review) at the job recently and it went all well. Nothing of note really - I'll make the big push (whatever that means) in a month or two. In thinking about my PPR though, I evaluated, among other things, my work environment which at the end of the day isn't that bad at all. I'm comfortable, enjoy the people, and like the general dynamic of the workplace.

But what if I worked at the Counter Terrorist Unit (CTU) as portrayed on 24? If you ask me, it may very well be the worst work environment that exists - I hope they are compensated well. It's Monday, so I think its appropriate that we review:
  • High Stress - The country is at stake with their every decision.
  • Lack of Trust - A mole plays an integral part in every one of the attacks.
  • Insubordination/Power Abuse/In-fighting - Everyone wants control, everyone is looking to progress, everyone has a power complex. The definition of "lack of institutional control."
  • Communication is Porous - How many times does Audrey Rains go in the back cellar/hallway to communicate with Jack, and then no one else knows what is going on (for better or worse)?
  • People consistently bring their personal problems to work - See Rudy.
  • It has to be the least insecure-secure place that exists anywhere - How many folks get false "secure" IDs and just roll up in the place? They have better security at high school basketball games. My high school basketball coach, Morgan Wootten, couldn't get onto the court at a championship game because they said no one else was to be let in. He was supposed to present the "Morgan Wootten Award." Come on CTU, we can do better than that.
  • They no longer report to and lost President Palmer, who would win a real-life election by the way, and was made worse by being followed up by (effectively)...
  • President Charles Logan - Nevermind, George W. Bush is ours.
  • And this...this my friends is by far the toughest workplace reality that all CTU employees have to overcome - They are forced to watch FOX NEWS AS THEIR NEWS STATION.

    Luckily, its all TV, right?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...i watch fox news ;)

10:14 PM  
Blogger Intellectivist said...

I gotta say, I definitely agree with you. Considering there's at least a 40% chance of getting blown up or infected with toxic nerve gas (seasons 2(?) and 5, though my memory fails me at this moment and there may have been more devastation), I doubt if I would want to work in such conditions. Not to mention, apparently everyone at CTU works 24 hour days, and I bet not a one gets overtime pay.

On the other hand, if it's so easy for moles and the like to go sneaking off to make secret phone calls, I bet when you're tired it's an amazing place to take a nap, assuming you don't intrude on some angry terrorist/mole who proceeds to slit your throat or shoot you or something.

And I think, watching Fox News all the time might actually be the force that drives people to become moles to take down CTU. I know that it would do so for me.

6:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm just pissed dude cut audrey up like that...he didn't have to do that.

and how can keifer be in an upcoming movie where he plays (what else) but a federal agent? everytime i see the preview and see him talking while pointing the gun i think "what's jack doing in a suit and tie?!"

5:21 PM  
Blogger Aristocrates said...

Fox local news in the markets I frequent is like any other...but THE Fox News...to each his-or-her own

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter