Saturday, April 02, 2005

Deeply Disturbing

A lot of this commentary comes from an article that I read a month ago, that was deeply, deeply disturbing. I have been very reluctant to discuss this with my female friends, because it represents a sad, sad state of affairs.

A recent British study says that a "high IQ hampers a woman's chance to get married, while it is a plus for men. The prospect for marriage increased by 35% for guys for each 16-point increase in IQ; for women, there is a 40% drop for each 16-point-rise."

I'm assuming this deviation is from the mean. If so, that shit is staggering. And to all my homies who think i'm pandering to individuals that happen to have XX chromosomes, it is simply not true. I happen to like intelligent women (women period, but especially intelligent women). Seriously, its one of my favorite things in the world. And to realize that intelligent women, are placed at a serious disadvantage simply because they are smart, is really fucked up. This is not to say that marriage is a holy institution that should be preseved and protected at all costs, but it is something that a lot of people aspire to. And to find out that smart chicks are placed at a serious disadvantage is unsettling. Especially, Especially when you extrapolate that to how it affects black people and black families (in which educated women are already placed at a disadvantage with meeting men with similar education levels).

Miss Dowd goes on to postulate reasons for this phenomenon. A different New York Times writer stated, that "Men would rather marry their secretaries than their bosses, and evolution may be to blame." A University of Michigan study using college graduates, suggests that men going for long-term relationships would rather marry women in subordinate jobs than women who are supervisors. Why? "Powerful women are at a disadvantage in the marriage market because men may prefer to marry less-accomplished women." Men think that women with more important jobs are more likely to cheat on them. These evolutionary pressures on males, make them take steps to minimize the risk of raising offspring that are not their own. Hmmmm. Evolutionary pressure, or ego-stroking? Who knows, but the result is not good...

Disclaimer: As a self-proclaimed elitist, I place a special value on the characteristic of intelligence (which is not to say that other characteristics don't have value)

The Maureen Dowd editorial: http://www.sju.edu/cas/political-science/men_just_want_mommy%201.pdf

"Marriage is a great institution, but I'm not ready for an institution" - Mae West
"Shawty, you dead fine, but the bottom line is, you still my sister" - Cee Lo

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would be remiss not to respond to this ensightful editorial. As I am equally attracted to intellegent women, I also believe that intellegency in women breeds some sever emotional problems. I will admit the size of my study was not extensize, but my WashU experience proved this to be true. All Luv to my WashU sista but man, maybe a study needs to be conducted to explore this phenomenon.

Yo Boy JReyn

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would never presume to speak on behalf of "intelligent women" (and to be completely honest, I hestitate even now as I'm writing this)but seeing as how I am a "WashU sista" I hope my perspective might be insightful. Most human beings seek out acceptance,and to a large degree most people find it. But intelligence isn't often preceived as a trait inherent to femininity and as studies have apparently shown,it can even lead to rejection. I feel like if you spent an existence having some major part of your identity being rejected, you might be suffering from "sever emotional problems" as well. Being told things like " you were better before you opened your mouth", a phrase I have heard before, or having you opinion invalidated simply because of your sex can be very influencial factors in one's developement. And if you're one of the women who chooses to stick it out rather than conform, and deal with these issues head on - which is required if you're going to make it to an institution of WashU's caliber,- then you've probably had to put up with alot. In terms of the things that " intelligency in women breeds", intelligence in women often breeds solely the awareness that what is between their ears can easily be discounted for what they lack between their legs. I never forget that if I had been born in the majority of other cultures in this world, I wouldn't have most of the rights you would consider fundamental in your life, or even have the right to respond to this "blog".

2:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most insightful…I must admit that I never dealt with the factors leading up to "sever emotional problems". Whereas, I will not recant my stance, I will concede to become more understanding and tolerant. However, I believe some of the issue lies between being 'book smart' and having acute common sense. It appears that for many people intelligence leads to some form of a sheltered life, which often times hinders the development of emotional and social skills. I won't say that this is limited to the female gender but it does tend to be more noticeable...

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter