Wednesday, March 23, 2005

2041...

...supposedly the year that Social Security will go bankrupt.

Regardless of whether that estimate is absolutely correct or not is irrelevant - point is, Social Security can not and most importantly, should not, be relied on. Combine that with the abolition of race based scholarships, and folk(s), if you plan to live the typical life-span of the times and/or raise a family, I leave you with two pieces of advice:
  • Balance a plan/hustle to sufficiently fund your future against your prodigal youth*
  • "Make sure your kids is tight" (courtesy of my fellow generalist)

Interestingly enough, I don't plan to make the typical life-span (in fact, I expect to fall many years short), would set my odds of marriage at that of a single randomized Blackjack hand (if foreign, check out WizardOfOdds), yet I have both saved a healthy amount and not been too prodigal relative to my peers. Go Figure...

* Addendum to advice: There is an assumption here that people are prodigal in their youth, and possibly, that the young should be prodigal. To each his or her own. Personally, I say do it within subjective reason, but also keep in mind that, "too often, youth is wasted on the young." - G X Duncan

1 Comments:

Blogger The Generalist said...

Unfortunately, I too believe that I am not long for this earth. Thus, I am currently going through my mid-life crisis...

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter