Tuesday, June 06, 2006

06-06-06 Playlist

I thought I would have something witty or just plain good (self-judged) to say on this errr - monumental day. Instead, I'll hit you with my playlist for tonight.

Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia
  • Shouts to my pre-freshman year roommate for putting me on to this song. We used to "vibe" to this joint. Hope my mans is doing well, straight up.

D'Angelo - Devil's Pie

  • Never was a big D'Angelo fan by any means, especially because in "Nothing Even Matters" he says "tendacy" (4th verse 2nd line, folks) - that's up there with "tooken" in Lucy Pearl's "Dance Tonight" (courtesy of Dawn Robinson) and ANYBODY who pronounces laptop as laBtop, including you Cam'ron, especially when you want to draw it alllll out in your rhyme - ...but this song gave us the line "Ain't no justice...just us / ashes to ashes, dust to dust" and gave rise to many more like it.

Lee "Scratch" Perry - Chase The Devil

  • Aside from being a song I mess with as is, this gave us the incredible sample used in - here comes another...

Jay-Z - Lucifer (I have 5 versions of this by the way)

  • ...and you can't like the sequel without paying some homage (even if we are talking about devils and what not) to the original.

Jeru the Damaja - Ain't The Devil Happy

  • I feel like it's always a good idea to show ole Jeru some love whenever appropriate given that The Generalist mused that Jeru may be the Most Slept On Emcee. "Written on these pages is the ageless / Wisdom of the sages, ignorance is contagious / So I hope you keep your focus / There's no hocus-pocus, in the end, it's just us"

I would have thrown D-12's "Devils Night" album on here but I couldn't in good faith because I have one song from the album and its the clean version of "Purple Pills" - "Purple Hills." I also guess that Three 6 Mafia's "I Gotta Stay Fly" could have made it; I mean they did win an Oscar.

3 Comments:

Blogger Puff said...

... and am I still the only one who notices that Jamie Foxx says he has a "stragety" at the beginning of Unpredictable?

12:09 AM  
Blogger Aristocrates said...

Given I just taxonomized that CD finally, I noticed that too...but it SEEMED intentional to me. But was it really? Hmmmm.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was intentional!!........wasn't it???? Come on guys, I mean, haven't you seen Any Given Sunday? Now that I mention that, hmmmm, Jamie does have a stragety

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter