Sunday, October 02, 2005

one of...

One of the reasons, why I really like my job is that I get to hear some fantastic discussions. This weekend, I participated in a seminar by a well-respected community organizing group on the role of the government. It was almost like coursework on the economic history on the united states (i should reallly go back to school). We looked at taxation, economic development, the effects of federal and state de-investment in local communities and some other stuff (someone i know would kill me right now for not using parallel structure in this list). All obtuse policy stuff, but primarily aimed at deconstrucitng the myth of the American Business Model, and its impacts to the robustness of the American economy:
  1. Unfetterred self-interest
  2. Market Fundamentalism
  3. The minimal role of the state
  4. Low Taxes
Now I'm no Communist (hell, I was a business management major in college), but its very interesting theory. If I've successfully piqued your interest, check out Culture and Propserity by John Kay.

I also got to hear from some Katrina's survivors, both older women (one of whom kissed me on the cheek, and told me that I was highly favored, which I thought was interesting) who described their experiences in New Orleans. Talk about an awakening.

1 Comments:

Blogger ms. sophia t. hasselbeck said...

highly favored?

thats really is interesting.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter