Monday, June 04, 2007

ATL Shawty

So I don't log flight miles like the other contributors, but every now and then I get through a new airport. Not enough to make my own Airport List, but enough to drop 2 cents here and there.

Most recently I ended up in Atlanta. Piggy-backing Aristocrates' observations, the re-charging station is ingenious indeed. I was pretty impressed when I saw it. Never been to Chick-Fil-A, so that one doesn't do anything for me. Those connecting delays though...

It started with the destination. Trying to fly to Memphis, well, Good Luck. Southwest doesn't fly there which almost automatically means you're paying more than you want to pay. The major airlines start at $200 roundtrip, which doesn't sound terrible... but when you consider that I can fly to Cali for the same price, it kinda hurts my feelings. Based on the distance (1 hour, 40 minute flight), Memphis should be about $80 each way.

Then, I must have been flying at a bad time because the (late) flights I wanted were all like $283. At the last minute, AirTran had a sale so I got a one-way for $128 after taxes/fees. Of course, AirTran, which could just as accurately call itself InefficiencyTran, sends everything through Atlanta. So you usually have the luxury of flying past your destination before you fly to it. Add a weather delay and of course my flight gets to Atlanta 10 minutes after my flight to Memphis leaves. (I'm tempted to complain about the insanely long 1.2 mile walk from the terminal to the baggage claim, but they got this train system that runs like every 2 minutes, so its cool.)

On the bright side, I got a chance to check out the Heavenly Bed at the Westin. Maybe I'm not a bed person (although I'm definitely a sleep person) because I couldn't tell what the big deal was. And they have these comforters that are so heavy you feel like you're climbing under a lead blanket... like that gray thing the dentist lays on you before he takes your x-rays. Not sure what's up with that. Otherwise, a pretty smooth trip, with a not-bad-at-all 8-hour drive back to save funds.

Speaking of which, I'd like to pause for a moment in remembrance of the $50 I gave up last time I filled my tank. Do you know how many things I won't pay $50 for? Not sure what's going on, but we're lookin at 3.89 for regular unleaded. Now that hurts my feelings.

4 Comments:

Blogger Aristocrates said...

Yea...AirTran competes neck-and-neck with America West and ATA in my personal experience on the list of airlines I least likely want to fly.

No Chick-Fil-A ever is kind of crazy to your tri-con though, quiet as kept.

4:33 PM  
Blogger The Generalist said...

A. The fact that you are not feelin' Chick-Fil-A greatly disturbs me. As I mentioned before, sometimes I will make a seperate trip to the A Terminal, just to eat that delicious sandwich with the very small pickle slices, and the waffle fries... Yum

B. I'm going to come to AirTran's rescue here, since I fux with it a little bit. I even messed with it when it was ValuJet.

C. By the way, i'm planning on buying at least 2 pieces of the heavenly bed series in the fall

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the heavenly bed...especially after a drunken New Year's Eve evening in the ATL...lol

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gangsta!! oh and I haven't worn "chick" filas in a grip

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter