Sunday, January 22, 2006

52 Books, Week 2, Vol. 2: 102 Minutes

Yes, we are at the end of Week 3 but considering the Generalists blog activity, my 11-12 hour work days (new position), and my desire to spread this post out from the The Generalist's (feel new again), just like that, I've explained away the delay (say the last four words quickly).

As you hopefully know, The Generalist and I, independent of each other, randomly chose the same book for our Week 2 excursion. I commend The Generalist for an accurate, acute summation of the book and will just briefly add here. As he wrote, 102 minutes is literally a minute-by-minute account of the September 11th Twin Towers tragedy. The book reads like a real life episode of "24," but with no commercials. All 102 minutes are accounted for, with multiple plot lines continually running between the two buildings, different floors, people inside and those outside. Incredibly engaging, even if it is one of those dreaded stories where you already know the outcome. In addition to repeatedly asking "What Would I Do?" another reason why it was particularly captivating was while flipping through the book, I happened to catch a glance at the page in the back of the book that listed the 126 people in this account that did not survive. From that point on, I would read about a particular person's situation within the disaster and their subsequent decisions and found myself continually checking that list to know whether they made it.

Again, not the appropriate book if you are looking for a pick-me-up (obviously). (Obviously).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter