Monday, January 23, 2006

52 Books, Week 3: The Corrections

Coming back to Michigan from Florida was really really disheartning. Especially when there is a 50 degree temperature difference in the two states. Possibly even more heartbreaking is the fact that I caught a cute little cold, from my even cuter niece. Ahhh, the cost of being with family. And speaking of family...

"All happy families resemble one another, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way" - Tolstoy

Franzen gained significant
notoriety [after gentle spelling correction] for this book, when Oprah selected it as a book club awardee, and then didn't allow him to come on the show when he made some negative comments regarding her previous picks. But don't let that mess you up, it still reads really well (although it does get bogged down in the middle).

I read a previous Franzen book, "How To Be Alone" which was an interesting collection of pretty dispartate essays about a lot of the themes that ended up in his novel.

The family that composes the story in The Corrections, is really really fucked up. But more than just a general story about a small town family, its also a commentary on 21st century society. Academic culture, sexual curiousness, captialism, America's drug culture, etc. etc. They all get taken a swing at with varying levels of success, but at its root, its still just a good book.


Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger becomingme said...

What is "noteriety?" Does it have any relation to notoriety?

I must say you bring out the English teacher in me, replete with librarian glasses and a ready ruler. And like Eartha, not wearing much more.

"Maaaaaaaaarcus..."

Do you believe in love at first blog? I do. I really like your posts, Generalist. I look forward to our next rendezvous. Until then, I guess I am off to amuse myself.

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, general musings has rapidly become one of my most favorable reads and tasks for the new year. (2nd only to reading becomingme's blog for reasons I'm sure we all understand). I applaud the efforts of the hosts, and per their book descriptions it sounds like I will have to check out a few of these myself and perhaps add them to my personal bibliotheca...
Sounds as if your little niece couldn't resist hugging up with her uncle. I think 'that cold' has some warm undertones. Nothing like the Fam

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter