Saturday, October 13, 2007

All Things Political, vol. 7.2

Add this to the list of things working against Barack Obama: He greatly overestimates the intelligence of the American people.

It seems the Distinguished Gentleman from Illinois has decided not to sport the requisite American Flag lapel pin because he believes that "true patriotism... is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security." Fair enough. But I wonder how many voters in Tennessee feel that way.

Wouldn't it be easy enough to wear the pin and speak out on national security? Then you win over the folks who want a little more substance without offending the reactionaries. Not that I'm a big fan of catering to reactionaries... but they vote, ya know? Your boy has basically taken the position that he only wants the votes of the people who actually think about the words that are coming out of his mouth. Honestly, what percentage of the electorate is gonna do that?

The leading Republican candidate has banked his whole campaign on the idea that you can make as many false, exaggerated, illogical and contradictory claims as you want, as long as you follow them up with "because of 9/11." The war is good "because of 9/11." I should be President "because of 9/11." We need the Second Amendment "because of 9/11." And it's working. Not a strategy I'd endorse. But I wouldn't spit in its face either.

As much as I (and my boyfriend) agree with Barack, I'm starting to think he may be the Lupe of presidential candidates.

(Seriously though, click on that Second Amendment link.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Intellectivist said...

Say what you will, but Obama may have actually won my vote because of this.

Lupe, however, will probably never win me over.


Should I be at all worded out that the random letters I'm supposed to type to place this response spell "rape"?

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter