Saturday, July 16, 2005

Next Chapter




As I'm moving soon, I thought it would be nice to reflect on some of the advantages and disadvantages of packing up stuff. I'm sort of a wandering nomad, especially because I haven't lived longer than one year in any place since leaving home (after high school). Knowing this, I tried to keep my material possessions easily transportable by a variety of strategems. Ultimately I was defeated, caught by the many trappings of modern society. Here's some advice for folks who are moving soon....

1) Don't start packing, 12 hours before the movers are expected to come. Start early (at least 3 months in advance). If it wasn't for 3 special people who came to help me pack at 3 AM, i would have definitely been screwed.
2) Don't pack up stuff that you need (e.g. liquor, computers with digital music, old simpson episodes, napoleon dynamite, etc.)
3) Have a relatively decent idea, where you're going to move too
4) Take everything you love (if easily transportable) with you. Because sometimes movers don't come when they say they will (sometimes a month later). "Oh don't sweat it movers, all my life's possessions? I didn't really need them, take your time"

Writing this list is making me angry, maybe i'll finish up later.

-- Go see Batman Beyond, and don't see War of the Worlds.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aristocrates said...

Moving is a horrible horrible process...especially when you are doing #1 before you have the answer to #3.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully it is not too late (Jan 27th 2006) to comment that this is a hilariously funny list. In part, because I am frequently called on to assist those who are moving

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter