Friday, December 02, 2005

10 Things Every Single Man Must Own: 6

6. A key-ring that can fix, cut, and open anything
Sure, your power-tool collection is outstanding—but it'll do you no good sitting in your closet when your date's sunglasses come apart at the restaurant. Show off how useful you can be by whipping out the tiny-but-powerful Leatherman Micra key-ring (leatherman.com). The two-and-a-half-inch, 1.75-ounce stainless-steel multi-tool combines scissors, tweezers, nail file, ruler, bottle opener, three screwdrivers, and a blade (of course). You’ll be amazed how indispensable it (and you, by extension) will become to her.

So Aristocrates decided to take one of these. Some scattered thoughts: My past date's (which have been very few and far between) have usually been at dinner, so its rare that I'll have to fix sunglasses. Besides, given the environment in which I live, I suspect the person would prefer to cop a new pair and more generally, cop a new-anything that "breaks." Furthermore, some items on the key-ring seem more for personal use (e.g. tweezers, nail file).

Here is my main point though, if I'm going to have this ready and available at all times with my date, I'm likely going to have it with me wherever I go. Well, if you are one of the millions of loyal readers of this blog, you'll know The Generalist lives on the road and I actually will be in North Carolina, Syracuse, Alabama, and Michigan over the next two weeks - that means mad, mad, mad plane rides. Is the Leatherman Micra Key-Ring going to make it through security checkpoints? Not if the checkpoint is doing its job, as it includes scissors and "a blade (of course)," thus, if I wasn't on the top of my game, I would get the joint confiscated on multiple occasions. Nice to have - yes, but I have better versions of all of the components at the crib separately.

Oh but wait, as I was composing this, the last paragraph apparently became null and void. Incredibly, small scissors and screwdrivers are among the items airline passengers will soon be allowed to take aboard planes again. Maybe, I'll just go cop this thing for the hell-of-it...

P.S. 11:47 and I apparently really get along. Crazy to me.

P.P.S. To all you crack fiends: Use that BlackBerry while you can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter