Thursday, December 22, 2005

52 Books: Life of Pi (The Preseason)

As I've stated before, in 2006, I'm going to try to read 52 books next year. I read a fair bit (a couple books a week), but for some reason I feel compelled to take on this task. The reasons are varied, some more admirable than others. One of the main reasons is that I just want to see if I can do it. Simply do I have the discipline to complete a task like this. The only thing that would prevent me from completing a task like this, is lack of will, and I want to see if I can do it. The second reason, is because I feel like I waste a lot of time. Whether its sleeping, watching Around the Horn/PTI every day, or watching old Martin episodes, I feel like I'm leaving a lot of time on the table. There have to better ways to use said time, including good ole fashion noggin' nourishing. Reason number 3 is to expose myself to more good fiction. Most of the stuff that captures my interest are political science/sociology/social theory/current affairs book. Through this project, I'll be exposed to a lot of good authors, and read some more of my old favorites.

Anyway, back to the title of this post. I came across this book in late 2003 when someone from my Coro program mentioned that Life of Pi was a great book, and I should check it out. I eventually bought it (though it usually takes two people to recommend something for me before I buy it and I was very very pleased) Even though it took me 2 years to read it, and the middle of the book was slow going, I was amazed by the scope of the book. Rarely has something challenged me to re-examine the way I think about the world, and this book did it. The basic premise involves a young indian boy on a boat with a bengal tiger, but the book is about so much more than that. Life, death, survival, faith, reason, etc. etc. etc. I dont' even want to talk about the plot too much for fear of giving something away. After I finished it, I was literally awestruck. What a way to start my expedition. If the whole year is going to be like this, I may read 52 books every year. =)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Life of Pi few summers back. Good book- took me a few weeks to get through it though (which is a lot for me- I'm usually a one sitting reader)Here's a coupla suggestions as you undertake your reading challenge-

A Love Noire by Erica Simone Turnipseed (just a really good Black love story with some other historical context thrown in)

Raising Fences by Michael Datcher (so freaking well written...found myself underlining and highlighting. I love when someone can say something I've been wanting to say so perfectly.)

The Isis Papers by Frances Cress Welsing (her theory on why the world is the way it is. Racism is a means of attaining a goal. The goal is white genetic survival. VERY interesting read. It's a collection of essays so sometimes it can be repetitive, but still very worth it)


Oh and ummm T9 has changed my life...thanx homie!!!

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Web Site Counter